For over 115 years, First Baptist Church of Oakwood has been a pillar of the community always providing love and support and sharing Gods love through His word.
First Baptist Church Oakwood was established on April 12, 1903 and was then called Oakwood Missionary Baptist Church with a membership of 19. Reverend B.S Curry was the first Pastor.
On February 2, 1918 “Missionary” was dropped from the church name. On April 5, 1919 “Missionary” was again inserted. On June 9, 1921 the church name again changed to “Oakwood Baptist Church of Christ”. Interestingly , through all these name changes, First Baptist Church Oakwood has maintained fellowship with the Chattahoochee Baptist Association to this day.
First Baptist Church Oakwood is in its fourth building with a new church building being constructed in 1903, 1919 and 1925. On February 16, 1969 the entire sanctuary was destroyed by fire of unknown origin. The church worshiped in the Oakwood School facilities until the present building was completed. The new building was dedicated on November 23, 1969. In 2016-2017, the church renovated the entire Sanctuary and was rededicated on July 30, 2017. Short video of this re-dedication can be seen HERE
Our church mission statement is to “Graciously connect people to God and to one another through love and the gospel of Jesus Christ”.
These are how we choose to treat one another as we work together as a church.
7 Heart Attitudes (Relational Values)
Many thanks to Mrs. Flo Ashworth for her tireless efforts cataloging our church history. Her work is a true treasure for generations to come.